5-Star Analysis Tutorial
The 5-Star Analysis Tutorial (originally written by Aaron Price as part of the Citizen Sky Project, but re-written by Paul York in June 2014) is meant to introduce you to basic ways of data processing and inspection. It does not assume a background in astrophysics, statistics or anything similar. However, all good researchers need to understand what their data actually mean. So if you have never made a variable star estimate before, we strongly recommend first reading our 10-Star Observing Tutorial. That will give you an idea of where these data come from and what it means to actually observe a variable star.
For your convenience, below is a list of some useful links:
- AAVSO Online Light Curve Generator
- VStar Data Analysis Software
- Variable Star Astronomy - online curriculum with excellent introductory chapters on data analysis
- Time Series Analysis of Astronomical Data - more advanced period analysis tutorial
- Blog posts by Grant Foster (former AAVSO staff member and pioneer of many of our data analysis methods and software) about data analysis: