5-Star Analysis Tutorial
This 5-Star Analysis Tutorial* is meant to introduce you to basic ways of data processing and inspection. It does not assume a background in astrophysics, statistics or anything similar. However, all good researchers need to understand what their data actually mean. So if you have never made a variable star estimate before, we strongly recommend first reading our 10-Star Observing Tutorial. That will give you an idea of where these data come from and what it means to actually observe a variable star.
The tutorial links to a few online tools and web sites. For your convenience, below is a list of some of the links.
- AAVSO Online Light Curve Generator
- VStar Data Analysis Software
- Variable Star Astronomy - online curriculum with excellent introductory chapters on data analysis
- Time Series Analysis of Astronomical Data - more advanced period analysis tutorial
- Uncertainty in Choosing Maxima and Minima - a webinar recording by Grant Foster about determining uncertainty in light curves
- Citizen Sky Interactive Simulator - online binary star modeling tool (requires Citizen Sky log-in)
- Blog posts by Grant Foster (former AAVSO staff member and pioneer of many of our data analysis methods and software) about data analysis:
* The tutorial was originally written for the AAVSO's Citizen Sky project and is written from that perspective, but everything in it is applicable to the AAVSO.
Last Updated: June 20, 2012 - 11:43am