The following is a list of the specific funds to which you may contribute. If you do not wish to specify how you would like your donation to be used, the AAVSO will determine the fund where it is needed most and place it there.
- The General Fund
- This fund is an unrestricted one and supports the general operations of the Association.
- The Endowment Fund
- This is a professionally managed fund, invested for the perpetuity of the AAVSO. From time to time, transfers from this fund into the General Fund are made as necessary to meet operating deficits of the Association.
- The Building Fund
- This fund is dedicated to replenishing the Endowment Fund for the cost of purchasing the new headquarters building (49 Bay State Road, Cambridge, MA 02138), to provide funds to refurbish the building, and to cover other costs incurred with the purchase. Our original goal was to raise 1.2 million dollars by the fall of 2010.
- Janet A. Mattei Research Fellowship Program
- This fund enables a visiting scientist, postdoctoral researcher, or student to perform research at AAVSO Headquarters with the goal of disseminating the results throughout the astronomical community.
- Margaret Mayall Assistantship Fund
This fund helps finance a summer student at AAVSO Headquarters who works on variable star-related projects and research while learning about the AAVSO and variable stars in general. Only the accumulated interest and not the principal may be used.
- Solar Fund
- This fund helps to pay the staff costs of running the section, publishing the Solar Bulletin, and travel expenses for visiting solar researchers.
- AAVSOnet Fund
- This fund pays for refurbishment and maintenance of telescopes, cameras, mounts, computers, software, and hardware required to operate the AAVSO’s robotic telescope network.
- Member Sponsorship Fund
- Funds donated to this program pay the membership dues for those active variable star observers who want to become members of the Association but cannot afford the dues.
- Restricted Fund
- Gifts and contributions made to the Association for restricted purposes as specified by the donor thereof. All such restricted funds of the Association shall be administered in strict accordance with the instructions of the donor. The Association is not obliged to accept any assets so offered.
Last Updated: January 13, 2014 - 4:00pm