Citizen Sky Workshops
The first Citizen Sky Workshop was held in early August of 2009 at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago, IL. Here you will find links to videos and presentations from some of the fascinating talks that were held during that workshop.
Here Rebecca Turner gives the Workshop's introduction.
Visualizing Epsilon Aurigae
Ryan Wyatt, Director of the Morrison Planetarium and Science Visualization Center of the California Academy of Sciences talks about different ways that we see and can think about Epsilon Aurigae.
Bright Star Photometry
Dr. Arne Henden of the American Association of Variable Star Observers gives an overview of basic photometry - measuring how bright a star is - concentrating on techniques appropriate to bright stars such as Epsilon Aurigae.
An Introduction to VSTAR and Basic Data Analysis
David Benn gives an introduction on what can be done with all the data you and your colleagues have been collecting on our favorite star. Photometry and spectroscopy can show us what Epsilon Aurigae is doing. Data analysis gives us hope to be able to explain why!
Other Workshop Presentations
Steve Howell talks about Epsilon Aurigae
- Jeff Hopkins talks about Spectroscopy
- Jeff Hopkins talks about DSLR Photometry
- Chris Stephan talks about Visually Observing Epsilon Aurigae
The second Citizen Sky Workshop was held in early September of 2010 at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, CA. Here you will find links to videos and presentations (as they become available) from some of the talks that were given during the workshop.
- Welcome, Arne Henden and Ryan Wyatt (10) video
- Project Update, Rebecca Turner (20) video
- Update on the status of the epsilon Aurigae eclipse, Dr. Bob (30) download pdf | video
- Evolutionary status of the binary based on recent measurements, Brian Kloppenborg (30) download pdf | video
- What more can we learn from the SED, Steve Howell (15) download ppt | video
- Disks in Astrophysical Objects, Steve Howell (15) download ppt | video
- VStar Workshop, David Benn (60) download ppt | video
- Team Reports: David Benn (download ppt), Chris Stephan (download ppt), Joan Chamberlin, Brian Kloppenborg (30) (download pdf) | video
- What’s a Light Curve? Unexpected Reasoning Difficulties When Interpreting Graphs, Tim Slater (30) download ppt | video
- The AAVSO International Database, Aaron Price (30) download ppt | video
- Precision, Accuracy and Uncertainty in Data, Mike Koppelman (30) download pdf | video
- Introduction to Variable Stars Through Their Light Curves, Arne Henden (60) download ppt | video
- Poster introductions
- Basic Time Series Analysis, Grant Foster (60) download ppt | video
- Concurrent sessions (60)
- Picking Topics for Scientific Investigation, Doug Welch (45) download pptx
- An Introduction to Writing Science Papers, Doug Welch (45) download pptx
- Team Planning Session (30)
- Analysis of spectrum monitoring by San Mateo College observing team, Sally Seebode (20) download ppt
- NVO Inside: How to Access Rich Multi-Wavelength Astronomy Data Through the "Invisible Observatory," Jordan Raddick (20)
- Using ADS and SIMBAD for Astronomical Research, Brian Kloppenborg (20) download pdf
- Closing, Aaron (15)
Last Updated: December 10, 2012 - 4:05pm