AAVSO Observer Totals of Variable Star Observations
Variable star observations submitted to the AAVSO by observers are added to the AAVSO International Database each month. The number of observations added for each observer is recorded and a cumulative total for each observer for the entire fiscal year is calculated at the end of the year. These cumulative totals are published in the Journal of the AAVSO as Tables 1, 2, and 3 of the Annual Report of the Director, and were also published in the AAVSO Newsletter through issue Number 27 (totals for 2000-2001). As of 2006-2007, publication of totals was discontinued in the JAAVSO and included in the AAVSO Annual Report.
The AAVSO fiscal year runs from October 1 through September 30. Thus, fiscal 2001-2002 includes observations received from 1 October 2001 through 30 September 2002.
Beginning with the totals for 2001-2002, we are posting these totals on the AAVSO web site as well as publishing them in the Journal of the AAVSO. For each fiscal year, the following tables are given:
- Table 1 lists the number of observers and the total observational contribution from each Country.
- Table 2 lists the number of observers and the total observational contribution from each USA State or Territory.
Table 3 is a list of individual observers and gives, for each observer, his or her:
- AAVSO Observer Initials (one to five alphanumerical characters)
- A two-digit code indicating affiliation with another variable star observing organization
- Name and location
- Number of observations added to the AAVSO International Database
- Number of inner sanctum observations made during the year (an inner sanctum is a positive observation of magnitude 13.8 or fainter, or a "fainter-than" observation of fainter than 14.0 or fainter).
Please note that at the end of Table 3, a list is given of variable star observing organizations that observers have requested their affiliation with be indicated.
These tables are in Adobe PDF format. The Adobe PDF format requires the Acrobat reader plug-in. Most new browser packages come with this built-in. However, if yours does not, then you can download it for free from the adobe website.
Last Updated: September 30, 2010 - 3:30pm