In Upload Wizard I keep seeing one file that does seem to have been there since last month and to be hung up in the queue:
7/10/2016 6:31:17 PM
It also looks like the following might be hung up:
8/9/2016 11:49:13 AM
These files are NOT hung up. Yes, they are old files that were corrupted or other and didn't get processed. They stick in the queue list BUT cause no problem except an occasional question like yours. I ask George to get rid of them occasionally. Not to worry but I do not mind getting the reminder.
I have used VPHOT for the last few thousand observations, even took the class. I may be having a brain-lapse on AE UMa, but VPHOT did a nice job on CI Cam right after it failed on AE UMa. Don't think my conundrum is operator error.
I have some AE UMa images. VSP yields a nice chart with comps. My Images are calibrated and solved and visually match VSP. I can see comps on the BVI images. When those images are imported to VPHOT it can't see AE UMa or any comps. After some mucking around, I got it to show CSS_J093250.8+443956 but still no comps and AE UMa not identified. The error is: Comp stares/sequence exist, but none was imprted due to no photometry for the particular filter, or too faint to be detected.0X18187JO . I could Use the VSP generated comps and pump the AUID numbers through AIP4WIN, but it would be nice if VPHOT just worked.
Second (related) problem: The AAVSO observation planner shows lots of variables with few observations. So, hoping to add new usefull data to the sparse collection, I eagerly click to get a VSP. Most don't show any comps. In the old days I just used Sky to find my own comps and AIP4WIN to do the photometry. If VPHOT isn't up to the task, should I go back to the old ways? Or are we all just supposed to over-observe a few stars? Does VPHOT have automated access to recent surveys?
Regarding the second problem, you can submit a comp star request using this procedure - https://www.aavso.org/request-comparison-stars-variable-star-charts
The team is quite responsive to these requests, if a sequence exists in the vicinity of the variable.
I hate to bother the comp team. It just seems like all the fancy surveys must have turned up comps-type stars all over the sky. I'll' bet they are there but not automatically incorporated into VSP.
No, VPhot does not have access to many (but some) recent automated surveys. Neither does VSP.
However, you can try the Simbad Catalog link in VPhot. Tycho comps show up here and some others.
Alternatively, you should consider seqplot (search on aavso web site). It will provide access to the APASS (and other) comp database. I use it when necessary (i.e., when no comps exists on VSP). This is a manual process but it yields recent accurate comps!
In my mind, VPhot works for you if you are able to process "the last few thousand images". I don't think you should jump to a conclusion that "it would be nice if VPhot just worked". Yes, I'm not naive. When something doesn't work as expected, it's annoying!
So is something different about AE UMa? Maybe yes, maybe no? Can you share a couple of these images with me at MZK?
As you know, VPhot has access to both AAVSO VSP comps and Simbad comps, but not many recent automated surveys like APASS (yet). We do have a wish list but remember this is a volunteer programming effort.
I opened one of the V images of AE UMa that you shared with me. I was able to load AE UMa and many AAVSO comps onto the image with VPhot. See attached screen shot.
Do you still have a problem or did you resolve it before you shared them?
Yup, I can make that single V file work and a sampling of B and I files go OK.
Then the second V file worked after initially not working during this sitting. The rest of the V files don't work yet.
I logged out all computers and in again.
I updated WCS. An average of V files didn't work, Averages don't work in B or I either, I need to look carefully at the solves in the headers.
I deleted the files and reloaded. Got the same results. Some work, some don't. I think this set of data has subtle problems on my end. Will recalibrate the raws and re-TA and resubmit. Will look to see if the variable is close to the same pixel in each image.
I wonder if it is a case of the filter wheel sticking. Will check that also. The B's average to a black image but are good individually.
The images are drifting a few minutes in RA.
An interesting challenge. I should learn to debug these things.