American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO)
Mon, 06/25/2012 - 16:41

I've fixed a minor issue with WebObs search. When searching with calendar dates, the results would not include the end date selected; for example, if you searched up to 2012-05-30, you would get everything up to 5-29, but none of the observations made on 5-30. The problem is that the end date was acting as an upper bound -- when searching on JDs, this makes sense, because it's possible to search on fractional JDs; if you enter, say, 2456070.5 to 2456075.5, you don't expect to get an observation made on 2456075.8!

The way the date search works is that it simply converts the date to JD and runs the same search, so we were getting the same behavior either way. However, when using dates instead of JDs people expect the results to include the end date given. I've updated WebObs so that when using dates and not JDs to search, the results include the entire end date given.

Thanks to Thom Gandet for bringing this to my attention.