Job Title: Full Stack Developer (Python / Django)
Type of Position: Full time (35 hour per week)
Pay Range: $60,000 - $80,000 depending on experience
Posting Open Date: Jan 31, 2023
Posting Close Date: March 31, 2023
Area of consideration: This position is open to all qualified candidates.
About the AAVSO
The American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) is a small, science-focused 501c3 non-profit organization headquartered in Cambridge, MA. Since its founding 1911, the AAVSO and its members have worked with the professional astronomical community to unlock the secrets of the cosmos through observations of variable stars and kindrid objects. Our current mission is to enable anyone, anywhere, to participate in scientific discovery through variable star astronomy.
AAVSO accomplishes this mission through collaboration with professional researchers, educational activities, and data stewardship. In 2022, our engagement with researchers yielded 300 peer reviewed publications and our educational programming reached 5,500 individuals. The majority of our effort involves curation of four databases including a photometric database with over 54 million observations, a variable star metadata database containing information on 2.2 million variable stars, a spectroscopic database with some 10,000 spectra, and an exoplanet database showcasing some 1,500 exoplanet transits.
Summary of Role
The AAVSO is seeking a full stack web developer to add features and maintain our numerous external and internal Python Django websites. This individual will develop, maintain, and operate the software and cloud services used in our web infrastructure. This is a full time (35 hour per week) position that can be fulfilled as in-person, hybrid, or remote work depending on the employee’s location.
What you will be doing
- Implement and maintain Django-based websites
- Focus mainly on back-end development, but do front-end work as well
- Participate in the IT operations of the website (DevOps/DevSecOps).
What you will need to be successful
- Proficiency in Python with 2+ years of experience developing web applications in Django
- Prior experience with Amazon AWS cloud services
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
How you can stand out
- Prior experience with AstroPy (python astronomy library)
- Familiar with astronomy, photometry, spectroscopy or a related field
- A demonstrated track record of working with volunteers or managing small teams
- Proficiency in languages other than English
Ways we reward our employees
During the interview process our team will provide details of our benefits. However, a brief summary of our benefits are as follows:
- A flexible, 35 hour work week
- 100 % employer paid healthcare plan
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 5% of their salary after three months of employment.
- Flexible Spending Account
- Educational assistance program
How to apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and their résumé / CV to Kathy Spirer at email@example.com with the subject line “AAVSO Software Developer Opportunity.”