I recently acquired a SARA SuperSID monitor and installed it. The data appears to be accurate and was wondering if your group needs an additional SID monitoring station? If so, I have a couple of questions:
- Is there a formal mechanism for joining the solar group?
- SID Data Grabber really does not agree with my Anti-Virus software. Is it safe?
Pear Tree Observatory
IAU H23 / AAVSO HTW
Yes, if you could email me at email@example.com with a couple 24 hour plots (daily scans), then I should be able to tell if your data is looking OK. It would also be good if you could send me photos of your loop antenna.
Once I see good data then I will assign you an VLF ID and from there you can go through the daily files with the SidDataGrabber software and write findings (SID Events) to a monthly report. The monthly report needs to be to me by the 10th of the following month.
The Siddatagrabber is a simple Borland C++ Builder5 application. It is safe as houses! It does reach out through your internet connection to check on program updates and post to a usage log.
If you have any questions about it, feel free to contact me.
The SidDataGrabber (SDG) has been having trouble with ftp problems. NOAA has moved its data and SDG has had it own problems with ftp. What you would see is a 15 second wait while the program tried to fetch the flare data and then it would fail. And it would do that with every log file. Frustrating.
The solution in 1.12 is to let you opt out of having SDG do the ftp. You will be much more successful doing it your self and putting the event files on your machine. Here's how you can do it:
- On windows open File Explorer and goto This PC.
- Click on the Computer tab and then the Add a Network Location
- This will open a wizard. You want a custom location. At least for now it is:
- This location holds the event files. And because it is in your File Explorer, it will be easy to copy a months worth of files.
- Put the file is a subdirectory called FlareEvents within your SDG data directory.
For those of you using SDG you will have seen the notice when you started the program that the new version was available. For those of you who want to investigate the excitement, goto https://www.aavso.org/sid-data-grabber.