A milestone anniversary and a joint meeting with the AAS!
May 21-26, 2011
An archive for this meeting is available on the AAS web site.
The AAVSO 100th Spring Meeting will be held as a joint meeting with the American Astronomical Society (AAS) at the Westin Copley Place, Boston, MA. The AAS is a very large and highly respected professional astronomical society. (The AAS 2010 winter meeting was the world's largest astronomy meeting in history.) This joint meeting will start mid-day on Saturday, May 21, 2011. Saturday will include an afternoon AAVSO Paper Session and the AAVSO banquet. Sunday will include a morning AAVSO Paper Session, an afternoon joint session with the AAS Historical Astronomy Division (HAD,) and the AAS Welcome Reception. Monday will include two topical plenary talks on variable star science as well as two AAVSO-sponsored, variable star special sessions, "Astrophysics with small telescopes" and "Variable stars in the imaging era" and an evening open house at AAVSO HQ. AAS meeting events will continue through May 26, 2011 and each day will include dozens of talks covering a wide range of astronomical topics. Those who are not members of the AAS will be able to take advantage of special registration rates just for AAVSO Members. What a great opportunity to attend an AAS meeting at a dramatically reduced rate!
If you are unable to attend this meeting be sure to mark your calendars for the very special 100th Annual Meeting of the AAVSO being held October 5-8, 2011!
Registration for this meeting is being handled through the AAS website.
- Registrants who are members of both the AAVSO and the AAS are required to pay the AAS registration rate. This rate will cover the entire joint meeting - Saturday through Thursday.
- Members of the AAVSO who are not members of the AAS will be paying the AAVSO registration rate of $117. This rate is available through April 14th. On April 15th the rate jumps to $157. The AAVSO registration rate is good for the entire joint meeting – Saturday through Thursday.
- Those who are not members of either organization must pay the nonmember rate. (Hint: AAVSO dues + AAVSO rate < nonmember rate)
When you register for the meeting on the AAS site you will be able to sign up for various optional events such as workshops, the AAVSO banquet ($50), the AAS reception (no charge), the AAVSO Open House (no charge), the AAS Banquet ($75), etc.
- Any AAVSO member may submit an abstract for the AAVSO oral contributed paper sessions. (These sessions will be held Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.) These abstracts will be submitted directly to the AAVSO and the deadline for submission is March 9, 2011. Note: This is quite a bit earlier than our typical AAVSO abstract deadlines! (Information must be submitted in time to meet printing deadlines for the AAS/AAVSO program.)
- AAVSO members may submit one additional abstract (either poster or oral presentation) for the AAS meeting. This additional abstract will be submitted directly to the AAS. Submission deadline is March 1, 2011.
- Poster:Posters submitted by AAVSO members will be included in the Monday AAS poster session. Maximum poster size is 44" x 44".
- Oral: AAVSO members (who are not currently AAS members) may submit to AAS contributed oral paper sessions with the same guidelines as AAS Nonmembers (outlined on Detailed Abstract Information page).
This meeting is being held at the Westin Copley Place (10 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02116). Guest rooms are being held at the Westin at a group rate of $239. Reservations must be made by April 22nd to ensure the group rate.
Alternate Hotel: A small guest room block has also been secured at an alternate hotel, the Hampton Inn Boston-Logan Airport (230 Lee Burbank Highway, Revere, MA 02151). This hotel is very convenient to the airport (free airport shuttle!) but it is *not* adjacent to the meeting venue. Guests will have to commute to the meeting each day via subway. A free shuttle will take attendees to the Wood Island blue line subway stop. The meeting is being held at the Copley green line subway stop. Please visit the Boston mass transit site for subway maps and information.
Airport transportation, parking, hot breakfast, internet, and 24 hour shuttle service to the subway are all included in the room rate. Hotel phone number is: 781-286-5665. The group rate is $179. NOTE: Because of how group rates work, it is possible that for the next few weeks you may be able to find rooms at this hotel for less than the group rate - either on sites like hotels.com or expedia or even on the hotel's own site. (Rates as low as $150 were available at the time of posting.) We encourage you to check these sites and book through them if the deal is better. We will not be penalized for unused rooms. As the meeting grows closer it is likely that the group rate will be the best deal.
Roommates: The AAS does run a roommate search forum for those hoping to cut costs by sharing a room at the Westin. Anyone hoping to connect with a fellow AAVSO member can send a message (including arrival/departure dates and hotel name) to Rebecca.
For more information and to Register, make Hotel Reservations at the Westin, or Submit an Abstract to the AAS please visit the AAS meeting page for AAVSO Members.
To Submit an Abstract to the AAVSO for the Sat/Sun AAVSO oral sessions, please visit the AAVSO Abstract Submission Page.
2/10/11 - AAS Member and Nonmember registration rates increase
3/1/11 - AAS Abstract submission deadline
3/9/11 - AAVSO Abstract submission deadline
4/15/11 - AAVSO Member, AAS Member, and nonmember registration rates increase
4/22/11 - Group rate reservation deadline at the Westin Hotel
AAVSO Open House:
The AAVSO is thrilled to be holding its 100th Spring Meeting jointly with the AAS. As part of the AAVSO's 100th anniversary celebration all attendees are invited to attend an open house at AAVSO Headquarters on Monday evening, May 23rd. AAVSO staff members will be present to give tours and answer questions about the AAVSO's rich history and current activities. Transportation will be provided between the Westin and AAVSO Headquarters. Refreshments/drink tickets will also be provided. Buses will leave the Westin for the AAVSO at both 6:45 and 7:30.
The AAVSO Spring Banquet will be held at 7pm at AAVSO Headquarters on the evening of Saturday, May 21st. We are thrilled to be joined by the AAS Council for this event! The banquet will begin with hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar. The buffet dinner will be followed by a brief award presentation. The evening will culminate in a variable star invited talk by Dr. Nancy Morrison.